There is a lot of incorrect and contradictory information on the Internet about how to lose weight.
Most of the methods listed on the Internet are not supported by any scientific research and may work poorly, not work at all, or even harm our health.
So, in this article we’ll see what’s the best way to lose weight based on science: diet, exercise or both.
The best way to lose weight based on science: diet, exercise or both.
One survey shows that the majority of people (70%) think that both exercise and diet is the most important to lose weight. 18% of people think that physical activity is the most important for losing weight and 11% of people think that diet is the most important .
Scientific research shows that the majority of people may be wrong.
A meta-analysis of the past 25 years of weight loss research using diet, exercise or diet plus exercise shows that a 15-week diet or diet plus exercise program, produces a weight loss of about 11 kg, with a 6.6 +/- 0.5 and 8.6 +/- 0.8 kg maintained loss after one year, respectively .
So it looks like diet alone can be as effective as diet plus exercise for losing weight.
Although exercise is not required if you want to lose weight but it is recommended if you want to improve your overall health including dealing with physiological problems, poor sleep, asthma, etc. 
And if we are talking about overall health then diet is also very important to prevent and even treat some of the most common diseases.
For example, one study shows that a low-fat diet and/or intensive exercise results in change in serum hormones and growth factors in vivo that can reduce growth and induce apoptosis of LNCaP prostate tumor cells in vitro . In other words, a low-fat diet like vegan diet may prevent cancer.
Scientific research shows that diet is the most important when it comes to weight loss. If we are talking about the maximum impact on weight loss then definitely both diet plus exercise is the best way to lose weight. But diet alone may give you almost the same results as diet plus exercise. Although exercise is not required for weight loss but it is required if your goal is not only to lose weight but also to improve your overall health.
Click here if you want to read my other article and find out which diet is the healthiest: omnivorous, vegetarian or vegan.
Also, it’s just the tip of the iceberg. Click here to download my free PDF Guide and find out the best science-based way to lose weight fast without exercise, regaining and damaging your health.
P.S. If you want to get my science-based meal plans, recipes that can be cooked in 30 minutes or less and find out how science-based nutrition can help you improve your health and live longer then click here to learn more.
If you don’t want to miss my future articles then click here to subscribe to my Telegram channel or subscribe to my email newsletter by submitting the form below.
You can read some of my other latest articles as well:
- Is having 6 pack abs healthy based on science?
- Does listening to music help with stress based on science?
- Why go vegan and 5 easy steps how to go vegan for beginners
- Is soy healthy based on science or does soy cause cancer?
- 5 healthy vegan salad recipes (oil-free)
- Animal vs plant protein. Which protein is best for health and strength based on science?
- 4 easy vegan pie recipes (+1 bonus recipe)
- Vitamin B12 recommendations based on science
- What is a superset and should you do supersets based on science?
- Top 10 vegan burger recipes
- Can music improve athletic performance based on science?
- How many sets should I do to build muscle based on science?
- Science-based iodine recommendations
- Should you train to failure based on science?
- How much protein can your body absorb in one meal based on science?
- Top 10 motivational quotes
- Omega-3 fatty acids recommendations
- What is the best training frequency for building muscle based on science?
- Best plant-based protein foods
- Happy New Year 2023!
- Does meditation help with stress and aging based on science?
- Is salt healthy based on science?
- Foods to improve performance in sports
- Healthy foods that last for a long time without a fridge
- Science-based macronutrient recommendations for athletes
- Top 7 healthy nuts to eat based on science
- Vitamin D recommendations, dosage, its impact on health
- How to live longer by increasing telomere length
- Healthy beverages based on science
- Recipe: whole wheat no-yeast vegan pizza dough
- What is NEAT? How to lose weight with NEAT?
- Are calcium supplements safe based on science?
- Are nuts good for weight loss and health
- 4 simple steps how I gained 1.5 kg (3+ lbs) per week healthily and how you can too
- Top 5 foods to avoid for weight loss and health
- Is fasting safe for weight loss and health?
- Top 10 healthiest berries
- Does healthy mindset really help improve our results (science-based)?
- Are potatoes healthy for you based on science?
- Is HIIT better than cardio based on science?
- What’s the best nutrition tracker app in 2023?
- How to build good habits in 4 simple science-based steps
- What are the scientific benefits of exercise?
- Are eggs healthy for us based on science?
- How to lose weight in 4 easy steps (science-based)
- Is keto diet safe and effective way to lose weight?
- Cardiovascular disease risk factors and treatment
- Is coffee healthy or does it increase the risk of diseases?
- Is laughter the best medicine?
- Can diet prevent and treat diabetes?
- The best way to lose weight: diet, exercise or both?
- How to live 10+ years longer in 4 easy steps?
- Which diet is the healthiest: omnivorous, vegetarian, vegan?