Is coffee healthy? Coffee is one of the most popular drinks in the world, so this article will find out what scientific research says about coffee’s impact on our health and various diseases, including cardiovascular disease and cancer.
Is coffee healthy or does it increase the risk of diseases based on science?
One meta-analysis was conducted, which includes the results of 36 scientific studies and more than 1 million participants.
The analysis concerned the effect of coffee on cardiovascular disease.
This meta-analysis found that moderate coffee consumption (3-5 cups per day) reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease, and high coffee consumption (>6 cups per day) does not increase the risk of cardiovascular disease .
The results of several more studies examining mortality from cancer, cardiovascular diseases and other causes of death suggest that regular coffee consumption does not increase the risk of death for both men and women  and even reduces the risk of developing these diseases .
Also, another study suggests that coffee consumption does not affect the development of stomach cancer .
At the same time, it is mentioned that this is provided that the person who consumes coffee does not smoke. If coffee drinkers also do smoke then the risk of developing cancer increases .
There is some study though that showed a positive association between coffee consumption and all-cause mortality among men and women younger than 55 years old. The study suggests that younger people avoid heavy coffee consumption (i.e., averaging >4 cups/day) .
A controlled cross-over randomized trial shows that even a single cup of caffeinated coffee consumed before bedtime in real-life conditions causes a deterioration in the quality of sleep in caffeine-sensitive subjects .
So, is coffee healthy or not? The majority of scientific research shows that coffee does not increase the risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease or death. Moreover, coffee may even reduce the risk of these diseases. There are some exceptions though when coffee can be harmful for our health. So be careful when drinking coffee.
P.S. If you want to get my science-based meal plans, recipes that can be cooked in 30 minutes or less and find out how science-based nutrition can help you improve your health and live longer then click here to learn more.
Also, coffee is not the healthiest beverage. But that’s a topic of another article. So if you don’t want to miss it then click here to subscribe to my Telegram Channel or subscribe to my email newsletter by submitting the form below.
You can read some of my other latest articles as well:
- Is having 6 pack abs healthy based on science?
- Does listening to music help with stress based on science?
- Why go vegan and 5 easy steps how to go vegan for beginners
- Is soy healthy based on science or does soy cause cancer?
- 5 healthy vegan salad recipes (oil-free)
- Animal vs plant protein. Which protein is best for health and strength based on science?
- 4 easy vegan pie recipes (+1 bonus recipe)
- Vitamin B12 recommendations based on science
- What is a superset and should you do supersets based on science?
- Top 10 vegan burger recipes
- Can music improve athletic performance based on science?
- How many sets should I do to build muscle based on science?
- Science-based iodine recommendations
- Should you train to failure based on science?
- How much protein can your body absorb in one meal based on science?
- Top 10 motivational quotes
- Omega-3 fatty acids recommendations
- What is the best training frequency for building muscle based on science?
- Best plant-based protein foods
- Happy New Year 2023!
- Does meditation help with stress and aging based on science?
- Is salt healthy based on science?
- Foods to improve performance in sports
- Healthy foods that last for a long time without a fridge
- Science-based macronutrient recommendations for athletes
- Top 7 healthy nuts to eat based on science
- Vitamin D recommendations, dosage, its impact on health
- How to live longer by increasing telomere length
- Healthy beverages based on science
- Recipe: whole wheat no-yeast vegan pizza dough
- What is NEAT? How to lose weight with NEAT?
- Are calcium supplements safe based on science?
- Are nuts good for weight loss and health
- 4 simple steps how I gained 1.5 kg (3+ lbs) per week healthily and how you can too
- Top 5 foods to avoid for weight loss and health
- Is fasting safe for weight loss and health?
- Top 10 healthiest berries
- Does healthy mindset really help improve our results (science-based)?
- Are potatoes healthy for you based on science?
- Is HIIT better than cardio based on science?
- What’s the best nutrition tracker app in 2023?
- How to build good habits in 4 simple science-based steps
- What are the scientific benefits of exercise?
- Are eggs healthy for us based on science?
- How to lose weight in 4 easy steps (science-based)
- Is keto diet safe and effective way to lose weight?
- Cardiovascular disease risk factors and treatment
- Is coffee healthy or does it increase the risk of diseases?
- Is laughter the best medicine?
- Can diet prevent and treat diabetes?
- The best way to lose weight: diet, exercise or both?
- How to live 10+ years longer in 4 easy steps?
- Which diet is the healthiest: omnivorous, vegetarian, vegan?